Ginger has been used since immemorial as a common spice, lending its unique spicy flavour to the dishes it is added into. But more than that, Ginger is an Ayurveda recommended superfood, that can also be hailed as an Ayurvedic medicine, as it lends to a variety of health benefits.
Let’s look at some of the medicinal properties of Ginger
- Ginger can be used as a perfect remedy to combat low appetite. To increase appetite, mix equal parts of ginger juice with lemon juice. Add rock salt to it and take this before meals.
- The condition of indigestion can be combated with ginger. Mix ginger juice with water and cane sugar and boil it till it becomes in a syrup form. Add powdered cardamom, nutmeg and clove to it, and preserve the decoction. This decoction is helpful in indigestion, flatulence, vomiting, stomach and bowel pains with fever, colds, cough and asthma.
- Ginger contains a very effective anti-inflammatory compound that is called gingerols. It helps ease and reduce osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis pain levels and improve joint mobility.
- Ginger can be helpful in foiling the potential risk of a stroke by inhibiting fatty deposits from the arteries. It also decreases bacterial infections in the stomach.
- Chewing a fresh piece of ginger a few times a day can help ease a sore throat.
- Taking ginger powder tea before bed can help ease chronic rheumatic pain, colds and excess mucus.
- When you suffer from headache, make a paste of ginger, either with aloe vera gel or water and apply to the head. You can use the same paste for toothaches too.
- Ginger tea is a good remedy for combating seasonal allergies like cold, flu and cough.
Ginger, thus, has been the constant health companion of man because of these wonderful health benefits and its miraculous medicinal properties.
Home Remedies with Ginger
Plump and filled with essential nutrients & rejuvenating compounds, according to Ayurveda, Ginger root harnesses an incredible healing power proven for a host of ailments and diseases.
Here are some effective home remedies with the spice:-
1. To cure backpain, add a spoonful of ginger juice to some olive oil and massage it into the skin. Leave it overnight and wash off in the morning.
2. For migraine, have two tablespoons of dry ginger powder mixed with warm water, before the pain intensifies.
3. To cure a cold, mix 30 grams of Ginger juice and 30 grams of Honey. Warm this mixture and take 3 times a day.
4. For relief from joint pains, mix 3 drops essential oil of ginger root and 1 teaspoon of almond oil. Rub on inflamed or painful joints and cover with a dry cloth to hold in the heat.
5. For cases of asthma, drink a spice tea made from a teaspoon of fresh ginger juice, 1 tablespoon of fenugreek seeds and honey.
6. For sinus congestion take 1 teaspoon fresh ginger juice with 1 teaspoon honey 2-3 times a day.
7. Having three grams of dry ginger daily can help in the significant reduction in blood glucose, triglyceride, and in total and LDL cholesterol levels.
8. For cramps mix, 1 teaspoon dried or 1 tablespoon fresh chopped ginger root to 1 cup of boiled water. Cover, steep the mixture for 10 minutes and then strain. Drink one cup of this brew 3 or 4 times a day.
9. For having a clear throat, drink ½ teaspoon of Ginger juice every half an hour.
10. Eating slices of ginger sprinkled with salt before meals can increase saliva flow to aid digestion and prevent stomach issues.
11. To cure headache caused by mucus, take 2 spoons of Ginger juice every day in the morning on empty stomach.
12. To stop vomiting drink a spoonful of Ginger and Onion extract.
13. To remove bad breath, add 1 spoon of Ginger juice to 1 glass of hot water and gargle for a few minutes.