What Is Lutein?
Most of us wouldn’t know exactly what Lutein is. It is a carotenoid that gives certain fruits and vegetables their respective colours. It is also an antioxidant, which are substances that help to reduce free radical activity in our body. Thus, not only makes a fruit or vegetable appear colourful, but it also lends a variety of health benefits. Let us look at some of the benefits and the food sources that provide Lutein.
Some of Lutein Benefits Include
- Prevents age-related macular degeneration – It helps in maintaining the health of macula, which is the most important part of the retina. Without macula, our eye vision diminishes. So, without a doubt, it can be said that it helps in maintaining good eye vision.
- Reduces risk of cataracts – It helps to prevent cataract, which is a condition wherein the clear lens of the eyes becomes opaque or cloudy, making the vision blurry and eyes sensitive to light and glare.
- Keeps skin young looking – Being an antioxidant, it protects skin cells from being damaged by free radicals. It can prevent the unnecessary oxidation of lipids and oils, which helps keep the skin soft and wrinkle-free.
- Promotes a healthy cardiovascular system – It prevents high blood pressure by keeping the levels of bad cholesterol in check. The antioxidant properties of lutein help in warding off the thickening of the arteries.
- Good for Brain – It helps in the proper functioning of the brain and facilitates all sorts of neural functions.
Here are some foods that provide us with Lutein benefits